|Click to email|
PO Box 220
Senatobia, MS 38668
551 N Robinson ST
Senatobia, MS 38668-2118
View hours ↓
Monday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
March 29 2023
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: March 28, 2023
On Friday evening, March 24, a series of tornadoes crossed our beloved state of Mississippi. The scenes of destruction have broken our hearts and inspired us to reach out to our brothers and sisters in need. United Methodists in Mississippi have been busy since Saturday morning helping in these communities in amazing ways. Just a few of the things that have been shared with me include helping find friends and loved ones, providing a listening ear to those who have lost loved ones, providing water, food and a safe place to stay and holding worship services on the front steps of the church as a reminder of the strength and goodness of God even in the midst of disaster.
We know that recovery from these storms will take months if not years. Many lives have been forever changed, but The United Methodist Church, through its mission arm the United Methodist Committee on Relief, UMCOR, will be there until the last person is recovered.
We have already received a $10,000 Solidary Grant which will be used for immediate needs in all the communities affected. We are forming a plan along with federal and state agencies and other non-profits to assess and prepare for the long-term recovery process that will be required. Many have called, texted and emailed from across the connection wanting to know what they can do to help. Here are a list of the immediate needs as of today:
- Continue to pray for all those who have been affected, directly and indirectly.
- Financial contributions either mailed to the Mississippi Conference, P O Box 1603, Jackson, MS 39215 or electronically here.
- We have been asked not to deliver anything directly to Rolling Fork. The storage facilities there are full.
- People in Winona have been without power for four days and they have asked for prayer for them and those who are seeking to bring back power.
- Disaster early response teams, ERT, teams will be starting tomorrow in Rolling Fork. If you are interested in being a part of an ERT team in one of our many affected areas, please reach out to Willie Morris at email@example.com.
- If you have questions about the various affected areas and want to volunteer, please reach out to Rev. Frank Newell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rev. Vickie White
Director of Connectional Ministries and Communications